[Haskell-cafe] runghc Setup.hs doitall

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 18 13:24:25 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 10:27 -0600, Jeff Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 16:22 +0000, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
>
> > Is there some sort of bundle that you can use to install cabal-install
> > easily? Because it looks to me like I'd have to spend the better part of an
> > evening manually downloading and installing the gazillion of dependencies it
> > has, which is far too much work when I just wanted to spend ten minutes
> > playing with some package...
>
> There's a bootstrap.sh file in root of the cabal-install that can do
> this automatically.

I've also improved the bootstrap.sh script for unix users. Feedback as
to whether it still works on everyone's unix flavor would be much
appreciated.

http://darcs.haskell.org/cabal-install/bootstrap.sh

It's slightly smarter about not re-installing things that are already
installed. It should have rather better error handling too.

In fact I've heard reports that this new one even works on Windows,
though only for the people with MSYS of course.

> In my experience, it usually fails because of missing dependencies like
> zlib-dev on my own system, but those are easy to fix, at which point I
> can rerun the bootstrap script.

Patches accepted.

Duncan