[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: leapseconds-announced-2009

Bjorn Buckwalter bjorn.buckwalter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 11:15:21 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 00:37, Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 00:34 -0500, Bjorn Buckwalter wrote:
>> Thanks for the pointer. My "source" is the Earth Orientation Parameter
>> (EOP) data at http://www.celestrak.com/SpaceData/; specifically I
>> autogenerate the module from
>> http://www.celestrak.com/SpaceData/eop19620101.txt. Probably looks
>> more complicated than necessary but I'm parsing the file anyway for
>> other purposes.
>
> With tz, though, you could discover the table at run-time and so be more
> likely to be up to date.

Ah yes. However, just like "time" this library does not attempt to
solve that particular problem. The purpose of leapseconds-announced is
to be dead easy to use (no IO and treading of the LeapSecondTable to
the usage point), at the cost of longevity. Of course, as I pointed
out in the announcement this trade-off isn't suitable for all
applications.

-Bjorn