[Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 10:37:30 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 7:33 AM, Lennart Augustsson
<lennart at augustsson.net>wrote:

> Thinking that Functor allows you to apply a function to all elements
> in a collection is a good intuitive understanding.  But fmap also
> allows applying a function on "elements" of things that can't really
> be called collections, e.g., the continuation monad.

I hadn't even thought about fmap for continuations... interesting!

It falls out of the logic though doesn't it?

I'm not one to throw all the cool mathematical and logical thinking out for
"simpler terms" or not covering the full usefulness of certain abstractions.

I know Haskell allows for lazy evaluation (as an implementation of
non-strictness) but Haskell programmers are NOT allowed to be lazy :-)

Try learning the terms that are there... and ask for help if you need
help... most of us are pretty helpful!

Improving documentation can pretty much *always* be done on any project, and
it looks like that's coming out of this long thread that won't die, so kudos
to the ones being the gadflies in this instance.  It really looked at first
like a long troll, but I think something very useful is going to come out of
this!

Dave