[Haskell-cafe] Re: Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

Apfelmus, Heinrich apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Jan 16 16:28:01 EST 2009

david48 wrote:
> I don't care about the name, it's ok for me that the name
> mathematicians defined is used, but there are about two categories of
> people using haskell and
> I would love that each concept would be adequately documented for everyone:
> - real-world oriented programming documentation with usefulness and
> examples for the non mathematician
> - the mathematics concepts and research papers for the mathematicians
> for those who want/need to go further
>
> As someone mentionned, the documentation can't really be done by
> someone that doesn't fully grok the concepts involved.

Good account of the current documentation situation.

Hm, what about the option of opening Bird's "Introduction on Functional
Programming using Haskell" in the section about fold? Monoid is on page
62 in the translated copy I've got here.

Does Hutton's book mention them? Real World Haskell?

I don't think that I would try to learn a programming language, for
example Python, without obtaining a paper book on it.

Regards,
H. Apfelmus