[Haskell-cafe] ANN: HTTPbis / HTTP-4000.x package available

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 16 08:54:07 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 22:36 -0800, Sigbjorn Finne wrote:

> Another change/fix in this release is the _alleged_ fix to the
> long-standing bug in the use of  absolute URIs vs absolute paths in
> requests (for non-proxied and proxied use.) Give it a go..

cabal-install with HTTP-3001.x:

$ cabal update -v3
Downloading package list from server
'http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive'
Sending:
GET http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/00-index.tar.gz HTTP/1.1
Creating new connection to hackage.haskell.org

cabal-install with HTTP-4000.0.2:

$ cabal update -v3
Downloading package list from server
'http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive'
Sending:
GET /packages/archive/00-index.tar.gz HTTP/1.1
Connection: close
Host: hackage.haskell.org
Creating new connection to hackage.haskell.org

Hooray! Thanks Sigbjorn!

That should fix the bug with cabal-install and transparent proxies. It
should also make downloads a tad quicker.

Thanks also for changing the names back to ordinary Request/Response. I
note we're now using "Connection: close". Is there a way in the Browser
monad to do pipelined requests? It would be useful in cabal-install when
users want to install a package with several dependencies so we can make
all the requests in a single connection (if the server supports it etc).
I realise it's not trivial since the Browser monad would have to hide
establishing new connections and re-sending requests if the server
closes the connection etc.

Duncan