[Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Fri Jan 16 08:23:34 EST 2009

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

> If I see Monoid I know what it is, if I didn't know I could just look
> on Wikipedia.

And if you're a typical programmer who is now learning Haskell, this will
likely make you want to run screaming and definitely be hard to
understand. We at least need a description that's aimed at people who
probably don't consider themselves any flavour of mathematician, however
amateur. One that, while giving the definition, concentrates significantly
on intuition.

flippa at flippac.org

"I think you mean Philippa. I believe Phillipa is the one from an
alternate universe, who has a beard and programs in BASIC, using only
gotos for control flow." -- Anton van Straaten on Lambda the Ultimate