[Haskell-cafe] Re: Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

ChrisK haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Fri Jan 16 05:05:05 EST 2009

Dan Weston wrote:
> Richard Feinman once said: "if someone says he understands quantum
> mechanics, he doesn't understand quantum mechanics".
>
> But what did he know...

Well, I am a physicist and Feynman (with a y, not an i), is not talking about
the linear algebra.

Of course, linear algebra [1] here is used a vector space [2].  The tricky thing
is that humans then "measure" the state.  And this is confusing step that causes
Feynman to say that no one understands it.

But the measurement step and how it interacts with the vector space can be
approximated by an algorithm [3] using ExistentialQuantification and Arrows.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/numeric-quest
     http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/hmatrix
     http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/Vec
     http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/blas