[Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Jan 15 20:58:20 EST 2009

Derek Elkins wrote:

> No one doubts that there is room for improvement.  However, the
> direction is better documentation, not different names.  Better names is
> fine, but I have not heard any remotely convincing alternative for any
> of the above terms.

After thinking about it, I think you are right.  But, there is a problem
-- nobody is stepping up to write that documentation.  If we can't get
it, then perhaps we ought to fall back on better names.

If we *can* get it, all the better, because these things need good docs,
regardless of what they're called.

I can see it now: a monoid by any other name would smell as sweet...

-- John