[Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Thu Jan 15 11:56:59 EST 2009

Lennart Augustsson wrote:
> Most people don't understand pure functional programming either.  Does
> that mean we should introduce unrestricted side effects in Haskell?

The key is to introduce concepts to them in terms they can understand.

You introduce it one way to experienced abstract mathematicians, and a
completely different way to experienced Perl hackers.  I wouldn't expect
a mathematician to grok Perl, and I wouldn't expect $PERL_HACKER to grok
abstract math.  People have different backgrounds to draw upon, and we
are under-serving one community.

-- John