[Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Thu Jan 15 10:57:42 EST 2009

I have replied on his blog, but I'll repeat the gist of it here.
Why is there a fear of using existing terminology that is exact?
Why do people want to invent new words when there are already existing
ones with the exact meaning that you want?
If I see Monoid I know what it is, if I didn't know I could just look
on Wikipedia.
If I see Appendable I can guess what it might be, but exactly what does it mean?

  -- Lennart