[Haskell-cafe] ANN: HLint 1.2

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 08:59:38 EST 2009

Hi Henning,

>> To install: cabal update && cabal install hlint
>
> Fails for me, because of the base-4 dependency. - I'm still using GHC-6.8.2.
> Can HLint suggest view-pattern-free expressions, such that the program also
> runs on GHC-6.8 ?  :-)

HLint is written using view-patterns so requires GHC 6.10 to compile
it. After you have it compiled its just a standard Haskell binary, so
can be run on any Haskell code and will never suggest view-patterns
anyway. Alas compiling without GHC 6.10 is not possible, but if you
can get a binary from elsewhere it should run on your machine (subject
to cabal configure stuff being set appropriately, which I don't
understand...).

Thanks

Neil