[Haskell-cafe] real haskell difficulties (at least for me)

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 18:10:48 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 16:21 +0000, Jamie Brandon wrote:
> I agree completely. There is not nearly enough documentation on
> packaging in haskell and too many hackage packages are broken or do
> not install. I know several people are working on improving this but
> they seem do be doing so rather quietly. Could someone briefly outline
> what improvements are planned and what stage the current work is at? I
> remember seeing some demos at anglohaskell during the summer but
> nothing since.

If you are talking about the new hackage server then the code is here:

http://code.haskell.org/hackage-server/

It should work though it is not feature complete. Patches gratefully
accepted. The build reporting should work with the current
cabal-install, though again it needs some polishing. Nothing especially
difficult, it's primarily a lack of developer time. We've got too many
"high priority" TODO items.

We are spread too thin across the projects: Cabal, cabal-install,
hackage-server, haskell-platform. More helpers are required.

Your Haskell needs you! Sign up today!

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/#StartingpointsfornewCabalhackers

Duncan