[Haskell-cafe] Re: databases in Haskell & type-safety

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Jan 13 13:37:45 EST 2009

Gour wrote:

> John> That's great.  Even better if accompanied by a patch ;-)
>
> Heh, one of the things which prevents me advancing with my own Haskell
> project is lack of enough skills to provide bindings for one C-lib and
> here I see the same pattern...It looks I have to cross it over :-)
>
>>> I'll e.g. open ticket for BLOB support :-D
>
> John> Of course :-)
>
> I did it - have you seen the notice about problems with HDBC-forums?

Yes.  I am thoroughly displeased with Ruby on Rails at the moment.  It
is less maintainable than a network of DOS boxes.  There are a host of
mysterious crashes in Redmine at the moment -- including one where
pulling up the page for one specific bug (but none others) crashes the
server.

I could upgrade Redmine, but that requires a Ruby stack that is partly
newer than what's in Debian, and the upgrade for that process appears to
succeed, but then fails in mysterious ways at the end.

To anyone annoyed with Haskell's library install process: you have no
idea how good you have it unless you've tried Ruby and rails.

-- John