[Haskell-cafe] version conflict on Hackage

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Jan 12 07:21:04 EST 2009

I repeatedly encounter the following versioning problem on Hackage:
There is a package A with version 1.0.
I upload a package B which imports A.
Thus B is bound to A-1.0
Now a new version of A is uploaded, say 1.0.1.
then I upload package C which depends both on A and B.
However C is bound to the new A-1.0.1, which gives conflicts with the interface of B.
All packages are sane. Both B and C work with either A-1.0 or A-1.0.1,
but they must use the same version.

Currently I'm forced to upload many packages with different versions,
although nothing really changed.
Maybe the most easiest fix to this problem is to let maintainers of a
package allow to trigger re-configuration and re-compilation of a package.

I would also like to flag package versions that people can safely ignore,
because there was a flaw in package dependencies. On the other hand there
are packages that are useful, but can no longer be compiled on Hackage,
e.g. compatibility packages for older versions of GHC.