[Haskell-cafe] Re: System.CPUTime and picoseconds

Neil Davies semanticphilosopher at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 12 04:50:32 EST 2009

I've found the pico second accuracy useful in working with 'rate
equivalent' real time systems. Systems where the individual timings
(their jitter) is not critical but the long term rate should be
accurate - the extra precision helps with keeping the error
accumulation under control.

When you are selling something (like data bandwidth) and you are
pacing the data stream on a per packet basis you definitely want any
error to accumulate slowly - you are in the 10^10 events per day range
here.

Neil