[Haskell-cafe] Understanding type synonym families

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 18:28:50 EST 2009

>From your blog post:
> Another solution is to use type synonyms to flip the parameter order
> around and write
>
> > type StateT' m s a = StateT s m a
>
> That in combination with the TypeSynonymInstances extension would
> allow us to write instance MonadState (StateT' m),

This isn't true, actually; (StateT' m) isn't a valid instance even
with TypeSynonymInstances; type synonyms must be fully applied.

TypeSynonymInstances just lets you do things like

> type List' x = (Int, [x])
> instance Monoid (List' x) where
>     mempty = (0, mempty)
>     mappend (a,b) (c,d) = (a + c, b ++ d)

This is the same as if you wrote the "instance" line as

> instance Monoid (Int, [x])

the compiler is just allowing you to put a fully applied type synonym
in the instance and applying it for you before creating the instance.

  -- ryan