[Haskell-cafe] Re: Monads aren't evil

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 10:23:56 EST 2009

Related to this issue, I have a question here.

I might  be wrong, but it seems to me that some Haskellers don't like
writing monads (with do notation) or arrows (with proc sugar) because of the
fact they have to abandon the typical applicative syntax, which is so close
to the beautiful lambda calculus core. Or is it maybe because some people
choose monads were the less linear applicative style could be used instead,
so the choice of monads is not always appropriate.

Haskell is full of little hardcoded syntax extensions: list notation
syntactic, list comprehensions, and even operator precedence that reduces
the need for parentheses, etc...

Of course IMHO the syntactic sugar is needed, e.g. a Yampa game written
without the arrows syntax would be incomprehensible for the average
programmer. But one could claim that this syntactic sugar hides what is
really going on under the hood, so for newcomers these extensions might make
it harder. It could also feel like a hack, a failure to keep things as
simple as possible yet elegant.

Some people I talked with like that about the Scheme/ & LISP languages: the
syntax remains ultimately close to the core, with very little hardcoded
syntactic extensions. And when one wants to add syntactic extensions, one
uses syntactic macros.

I'm not sure what others feel about the hardcoded syntax extensions in
Haskell...

Personally I'm not that much of a purist, I'm an old school hacker that
mainly needs to get the job done. I like the syntax extensions in Haskell
(and even C#/F# ;) because they let me write code shorter and clearer...