[Haskell-cafe] Haskell not ready for Foo [was: Re: Hypothetical Haskell job in New York]

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Fri Jan 9 09:54:06 EST 2009

On Jan 8, 2009, at 4:34 PM, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> I actually think that we're very close to being in fantastic shape
> here.

I think that's Haskell zeal speaking. :-)

Not that I don't appreciate your zeal (I do), and I'm definitely
excited about the stuff you're working on, but we're a long way from
having stable, mature, well-designed libraries that are fit for
production use in high-level messaging applications. In this niche
(and quite a few other networking-related niches), Erlang is the clear
winner, at least for the immediate future (in the long-term, the
purity of Haskell could lead to some high-performance, robust
approaches not possible for Erlang).

Regards,

John