[Haskell-cafe] Haskell not ready for Foo [was: Re: Hypothetical Haskell job in New York]

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Thu Jan 8 06:10:15 EST 2009

Manlio Perillo <manlio_perillo at libero.it> wrote:

> Unfortunately Haskell is not yet ready for this task.

Could you -- or someone else -- please elaborate on this?

I've heard it once in the context of a webbrowser, the reason given was
that ghc doesn't deallocate memory, that is, the gc heap only
increases. I doubt it'd be hard to fix, not to mention that, iff a
Haskell process is more or less the only process running on a system,
deallocation becomes practically irrelevant... which'd be the case with
e.g. a HAppS production server.

Any other known problems?