[Haskell-cafe] How to give unique name/id to nodes outside any monad ?

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Thu Jan 8 03:48:45 EST 2009

Of course you don't need a monad, but you need to do the same
operations as you would with a state monad to number the nodes.  This
is the only way in (pure) Haskell.  There is no object identity in
Haskell, so if you want the nodes to have identity you need to provide
it.

GHC does have a library for stable names which (in the IO monad)
allows you to get something akin to the address of a value in memory.
But that's not the functional way of doing this.

  -- Lennart