[Haskell-cafe] Staged evaluation, names?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Jan 7 23:25:45 EST 2009

Dear Cafe,

Every now and then I find myself in the position where I'd like to
define some hairy value as a CAF instead of a literal, but I'd like for
it to be fully evaluated at compile-time rather than postponed until
runtime. It'd be possible to bludgeon the CPP into doing this, but it
seems easier to use an autocannon like Template Haskell to swat this fly.

This seems like a common thing for folks to want but the TH
documentation targets much higher-hanging fruit, which actually made it
harder to figure out how to do something this basic (which would have
been transparent with MetaML/MetaOCaml-like syntax). I've figured it out
and circumvented the gotchas, and I was thinking of releasing the code
as a counterpoint to all the very-high level TH tutorials.

The question for y'all is what should I call it? I've been calling the
template-function qaf (for Compiled Applicative Form ;) and the type
class with that function would be the only thing in the package, but I'm
not sure where QAF.hs should be in the module hierarchy. Thoughts?

--
Live well,
~wren