[Haskell-cafe] Maybe a compiler bug?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 10:35:57 EST 2009

Hi Murray,

> The issue here is not whether or not the code is pretty or elegant, but
> whether or not I get correct execution of what I have, which is a correct
> statement of what I want (even if not the prettiest or most lint free), and
> I don't.

Sorry, I was merely responding to someone else suggesting ways to
improve your code. Of course you are right - if the code goes wrong
when written in an inelegant way that is the fault of the compiler,
not the fault or the author!

Trying your code I get 69 of output on stdout, then the message "fail"
repeatedly on stderr. This happens whether I compile the code with
-fasm or -fvia-c, using GHC 6.10. What are you expecting the code to
output in each case, what command lines do you use, and which do you
believe is correct? Please make sure you clean all the .hi and .o
files between each build, so they don't have any confusing effects.

As soon as someone else can reproduce the problem, they will probably
be able to snip it down to a more manageable example.

Thanks

Neil