[Haskell-cafe] Re: Use of abbreviations in Haskell

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Mon Jan 5 07:02:57 EST 2009

Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de> writes:

>>> Implicit importing: submodule syntax implies adding an "import
>>> The.Module.Name" line at that point in the containing file.

>> I'm not sure I agree with that, I don't see why we shouldn't treat
>> these modules as ordinary modules.

> import [qualified] module Foo [as F] [hiding(baz)] where
> 	bar = undefined
> 	baz = bar

Why do you want the 'where' there?  Why not simply treat a file
Foo.Bar as a concatenation of module Foo.Bar and optionally modules
Foo.Bar.*?

> OTOH, the Ocaml folks are going to ridicule us even more. "Now they
> redid the module system, and it's still second-class"

Well, they would be wrong, wouldn't they?  I don't want to "redo" the
module system, and in fact, I think my proposal wouldn't change the
language at all, merely how the compiler searches for modules.  (Which
it would be nice if the compilers agreed upon, of course.)

-k