[Haskell-cafe] Re: #haskell IRC channel reaches 600 users

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Sat Jan 3 16:39:40 EST 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:27:13 +0100
Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de> wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> Hmmm... I seem to have left out the academics definition of bogosity.
> I bet that others are much more qualified to elaborate on this, but my
> working assumption has been (and still is) that it does include a wide
> range of working code, and excludes a lot of abstract nonsense.

Well, as someone who has done research in at least 4 different
subfields of computer science, I'd say it depends on which subfield you
are in. Academics in Human Computer Interaction might criticise a
project for having a badly-designed user interface that is hard to use;
academics in formal methods might criticise code for not having a
specification anywhere of what it does or how it is supposed to handle
erroneous inputs; academics working on aspect-oriented software
development might criticise code for "tangling" too many concerns
unnecessarily in one function.

Whereas, each of these academics might be oblivious (or almost
oblivious) to the other two critiques.
--
Robin