[Haskell-cafe] Thoughts on Haskell and OOP

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 22:25:57 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 19:47 -0600, Drew Vogel wrote:
> I saw a blog entry once (sorry, google can't seem to find it now)
> proposing the idea that OOP really is just language support for CPS
> (continuation-passing-style). Does anyone have a link to this?

'don't think I've heard of it, but it sounds like it should be given as
much shrift as most blog articles, which is to say none at all.  I can
imagine something about using the duality between FP and OOP and using
type negation (which is related to CPS) to witness this, but from that
perspective FP is just as much "just language support for CPS," a
non-sensical phrase.  "Language support for continuations" does of
course make sense but doesn't describe many languages, OO or otherwise.