[Haskell-cafe] Re: How do we decide on the new logo?

Sebastian Sylvan sylvan at student.chalmers.se
Sat Jan 3 11:33:30 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 3:15 AM, <roconnor at theorem.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Achim Schneider wrote:
>
>  Step 2: Determine the winner by polling preferences, same-level
>> preference (ambivalence) allowed
>> (eg. place 1 for logos C and D, place 2 for A and place 3 for B)
>>

> The only reasonable method of voting using this ranking data is one of the
> Condorcet methods.  How you break ties doesnt matter much to me. Wikimedia,
> Debian, Gentoo, and Software in the Public Intrest all use Schulze method
> for what that is worth.

Yes. Condorcet voting picks the best compromise and is IMO the way to do
this - we won't all agree on the best logo, but at least we can pick the
least disliked one. It doesn't need to be super sophisticated, just a box
next to each logo where you can enter a rank in any range you like (1 being
most preferred, empty boxing being equivalent to +Inf),
allowing multiple entries to share the same rank.

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+44(0)7857-300802