[Haskell-cafe] What are side effects in Haskell?

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:12:50 EST 2009

Granting the "everything is a function" idea the best intent, maybe
what it's trying to express is the related but different notion that
everything *can be* a function -- i.e. that any value can be replaced
by a function which yields a value of the appropriate type.
Alternately, it could be a confusion between the untyped lambda
calculus, in which everything really is a function, and the typed
lambda calculus, in which things are more complicated?

--S.