[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Haskell web server + wiki: salvia-0.0.4 + orchid-0.0.6

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Jan 1 17:43:23 EST 2009

Judah Jacobson schrieb:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Sebastiaan Visser <sfvisser at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

>>> Miscellaneous comments:
>>> 1) You're right about cabal-install versus runhaskell etc. There seems
>>> to be a(nother) Control.Exception issue with cabal-install using
>>> base-4:
>>> src/Network/Orchid/Backend/DarcsBackend.hs:91:29:
>>>   Couldn't match expected type `IOException'
>>>          against inferred type `Exception'
>>>     Expected type: IO (Either IOException String)
>>>     Inferred type: IO (Either Exception String)
>>>   In the second argument of `()', namely
>>>       `(try (U.readFile (repo /+ file)) ::
>>>           IO (Either IOException String))'
>>>   In the expression:
>>>         eitherToMaybe
>>>
>>>         (try (U.readFile (repo /+ file)) :: IO (Either IOException String))
>> I tried to enable building against both the old and the new Exception
>> libraries by using some preprocessor statements. It seems this attempt
>> failed.
>
> You may  find the extensible-exceptions package from Hackage to be
> useful.  It provides the new Exeptions API on all versions of ghc
> since 6.6 (and possibly earlier), so you don't have to deal with any
> preprocessing or cabal-install issues.

Alternatively use the explicit-exception package, which works like IO
(Either ...), but is more clean.

Btw. although I have not looked into Pandoc, in general I find it more
attracting to re-use existing software. If you think, that your document
system is better than Pandoc, it would also be nice to have it as a
separate package.