[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Haskell web server + wiki: salvia-0.0.4 + orchid-0.0.6

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 14:09:26 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Sebastiaan Visser  wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2009, at 7:15 PM, Gwern Branwen wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Sebastiaan Visser  wrote:
>>>
>>> Happy new year, you all!
>>>
>>> I'm pleased to announce three new packages on Hackage:
>>
>> Miscellaneous comments:
>> 1) You're right about cabal-install versus runhaskell etc. There seems
>> to be a(nother) Control.Exception issue with cabal-install using
>> base-4:
>> src/Network/Orchid/Backend/DarcsBackend.hs:91:29:
>>   Couldn't match expected type `IOException'
>>          against inferred type `Exception'
>>     Expected type: IO (Either IOException String)
>>     Inferred type: IO (Either Exception String)
>>   In the second argument of `()', namely
>>       `(try (U.readFile (repo /+ file)) ::
>>           IO (Either IOException String))'
>>   In the expression:
>>         eitherToMaybe
>>
>>         (try (U.readFile (repo /+ file)) :: IO (Either IOException
>> String))
>
> I tried to enable building against both the old and the new Exception
> libraries by using some preprocessor statements. It seems this attempt
> failed.
>
>> 2) Have you looked into integrating with Pandoc for generating TeX,
>> PDFs, etc. (instead of rolling your own)? Seems to work fairly well
>> for Gitit.
>
> Nope haven't really looked into Pandoc, rolling my was just more fun.
>
>> 3) Is it just me, or is the fancy AJAX interface - as nice as it is -
>> rather slow?
>
> No, it's not really the Ajax that is the performance bottleneck here. It is
> the slow machine the demo is running on currently, the LaTeX tools running
> in the background and the poor caching. When I would cache all the generated
> documents (and images) there will probably a big speedup. This is in my
> todo.

I am unsure that's the explanation. When I switched to look at the
simple non-AJAX view, it ran speedily enough; further, when I began
using AJAX locally, it felt as sluggish and slow as before, and I do
not consider my machine to be slow.

>> 4) In orchid-demo, I notice it by default looks in /tmp for its
>> datafiles. Is there some particular reason why a better default
>> wouldn't be looking in ./? I was wondering how orchid-demo would do
>> for a personal wiki, where it makes most sense to have a ~/wiki
>> directory to keep all the files in.
>
> The /tmp directory is just world writable by default, being a good candidate
> to get the demo running quick. The command line options allow you to have
> more control. The demo is only one single `Main.hs', so adapting it to your
> own needs is also possible.
>
>> 5) Setting up orchid-demo is not all that clear; I figured out that
>> you want to run 'orchid-demo --extract' to set up a stock
>> configuration and repo, and then one can just run 'orchid-demo', but I
>> think a better way would be to look in the default location for files
>> and if orchid-demo doesn't find any, then fall back to --extract and
>> look again.
>
> A better way to roll your own wiki is:
>
> $ echo "show signup" > user.db
> $ echo "myusername mypassword loginfo show edit create signup" >> user.db
> $ mkdir repo
> $ cd repo
> $ darcs init
> $ orhid-demo --data-dir=. --user-db=../user.db
>
>> - --
>> gwern
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Sebastiaan

I hadn't looked at the config before; I guess another suggestion would
be to hash the password!

- --
gwern