[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: text and text-icu, fast and comprehensive Unicode support using stream fusion

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Fri Feb 27 03:01:26 EST 2009

On behalf of the Data.Text team, I am delighted to announce the release of
preview versions of two new packages:

text 0.1
Fast, packed Unicode text support, using a modern stream fusion framework.
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/text

text-icu 0.1
Augments text with comprehensive character set conversion support and
normalization (and soon more), via bindings to the ICU library.
http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/text-icu

These packages fill out critical pieces of functionality for the Haskell
platform, without compromising on either performance or safety.

We are referring to these as *preview* releases because although the text
package in particular has been quite heavily tested, it has not been
thoroughly tuned, and we have not yet implemented a chunked lazy text
representation suitable for streaming gigabytes of data. The APIs are pretty
conventional, but are still subject to change.

If you want to contribute, please get copies of the source trees from here:

darcs get http://code.haskell.org/text
darcs get http://darcs.serpentine.com/text-icu

Please send bug reports and patches to your friendly Data.Text team:

Tom Harper <rtharper at aftereternity.co.uk>
Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk>
Bryan O'Sullivan <bos at serpentine.com>