[Haskell-cafe] Re: statep haskell-lang [was: Re: Hoogle and Network.Socket]

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 26 22:34:25 EST 2009

There's something I'm missing in all of this.

Perl is in the process of rebooting itself (perl6 is syntactically
very different from perl5; the closest it's ever previously gotten to
this kind of radical change was the change from ' to :: as the package
separator).  Perl5 will continue to exist, and probably even be
maintained.  So why is it not possible to declare Haskell98 and
Haskell10 (or whatever Haskell' becomes) as stable, maintained
languages for production use, then reboot the Haskell development
process?  In fact, I thought that was the reason Haskell98 support is
retained in Haskell compilers?

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu