[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hoogle and Network.Socket

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Wed Feb 25 20:06:14 EST 2009

I don't think it's that black and white.

At the lower end, when the language is controlled by a few, there's
not much innovation poured into the language or libraries, and there
are no tools to support development. As the community grows, you see
much more innovation in language and libraries, and maybe a few
primitive tools. With much greater, the community demands backward
compatibility, so the language itself may only evolve in highly
constrained ways (ways that are usually detrimental to consistency),
but the library space explodes with innovation, and the tools become
extremely powerful.

Personally, I'd be happy to see that explosion of innovation in the
library and tool spaces, even if it means the language itself stops
evolving (for the most part). It will make it a lot easier do use
Haskell commercially, and the innovators in the language space will
find or invent a new target to keep themselves occupied.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-BRAIN, Inc.
The Evolution of Collaboration