[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hoogle and Network.Socket

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Wed Feb 25 11:29:09 EST 2009

Jonathan Cast wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 10:23 +0000, John Lato wrote:
>> 4.  Cross-platform concerns are something that responsible developers
>> need to consider, just like localization and i18n.  I.e., why
>> *shouldn't* you think of that?
>
> Sorry, wtf?  I have a *responsibility* to design software for a
> miserably poorly-designed God-awful platform I'd have to pay *extra*
> for, and even then couldn't get source to or *fix* if I found a bug?

I think there's a distinction between actively trying to support a
specific platform, and simply trying to work in a cross-platform way,
i.e. using the appropriate cross-platform APIs and packages where
possible. Other people will already have done the work of making those
things work on a specific platform, and if they don't work the issue can
be raised with those people rather than you.

> No.  You don't control me, to the best of my knowledge you haven't
> done squat for me, and by trying to force me to develop to *that*
> platform you are actively attempting to harm me.
>
> *plonk*

Please could you moderate your tone? The original post wasn't aimed at
you personally, it just expressed a general opinion about development
practices, and certainly made no mention of forcing you or anyone else
to do anything. By making it personal and expressing your response in
rather intemperate language, you are adding more heat than light.

In addition, the original subject of this thread is Hoogle, and if we
take your comments in that context (and I do realise that your comments
may have been generic rather than specific to Hoogle), then you have the
choice of not using it at all, in which case you are not affected at all
by its design choices; but if you do use it then the author certainly
has
done something for you, and his feeling that people should be encouraged

to use cross-platform APIs where possible should certainly be accorded
some respect.

Cheers,

Ganesh