Pickling a finite map (Binary + zlib) [was: [Haskell-cafe] Data.Binary poor read performance]

Felipe Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 03:59:46 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> This idea was the motivation for the new Seq instance, which uses
> internals to build quickly.

The problem is that fromDistinctAscList is the best we can do right
now. We don't have something like (|>) that runs in O(1) time, and
trying to insert each element would give O(n log n) instead of O(n).
In fact, we don't even know if length is the culprit, although I'm
highly suspicious of it.

Maybe there should be Data.Map.Internal like Data.ByteString.Internal
so we can mess with the datatypes directly but without strong API
compatibility guarantees?

--
Felipe.