[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hoogle and Network.Socket

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Mon Feb 23 18:34:08 EST 2009

wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:

> Though, I think it might be easier to have an icon next to the search
> hits, rather than segregating by platform--- since
> segregating/sectioning runs counter to relevance ranking.

While OTOH, this approach might rank low-level POSIX/Windoze libraries
higher than cross-platform wrappers, which arguably isn't the best way
to promote platform-independence.

I really do think that "show N more results from platform Foo" and
"show N more platform-specific results" is the way to go: clicking them
would repeat the search with "(+platform | +all) -cross-platform" tags,
which has the benefit of implicitly documenting how to do specific
searches: No documentation needed, no GUI if you don't care.