[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hoogle and Network.Socket

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Mon Feb 23 18:06:40 EST 2009

Achim Schneider wrote:
> Thomas DuBuisson <thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I still prefer showing all platform results sorted into separate
> > sections with headers, but understand that I am in the minority.
>
> You aren't alone. Labelling them prominently with POSIX, UNIX, Linux,
> *BSD, OSX resp. Windoze is a Good Thing: That way, noone has to dig
> into package docs. "Show N more results specific to platform Foo"-links
> would be a good idea, too.

Indeed, you are not alone.

Though, I think it might be easier to have an icon next to the search
hits, rather than segregating by platform--- since
segregating/sectioning runs counter to relevance ranking. Of course
icons clutter things up (though we can be innovative about what "icon"
means and use them to colorize text or similar; since we have so few of
them). But then there's a whole literature on clustered search engines
that we could delve into for UI considerations (clustered-search folks
tend to care about such things).

The main point is that I think even arch/os/compiler-specific packages
should be searched by default and simply annotated as being
platform-specific, rather than requiring flags (a hitherto undocumented
feature). Cookies should be used to facilitate or suppress such platform
specificities (with a URL interface to adjust the cookie).

Lacking a wiki account,
~wren