[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle and Network.Socket

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sun Feb 22 17:55:50 EST 2009

> sitting in a pub with some beer having a platform war). Martijn's
> thoughts of +windows, +unix, +os is exactly right, I'm happy to let
> users say "oh, please show me these packages", but there are
> trade-offs in Hoogle design. If someone has some clear viewpoint on
> the answers, I'd love to hear them. The three problems are:
>
> 1) What packages should Hoogle search by default? All of hackage? The
> base libraries? Only the packages a user has installed? Only packages
> that make it in to the Haskell Platform?

Why not make that configurable, similar to trac's custom queries,
defining several default configurations with short names (+windows,
+hackage, +hp, ..), rather than trying to define one default config?

The kinds of configuration option available could be taken from
information available to hackage/cabal (which presumably will
specify/show platforms at some point).

Claus