[Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 09:26:13 EST 2009

> > nothing should stop you from writing video games in Haskell since
>
> video codec isn't video game :)))

ouch, mea culpa, I misread  your message.

> > but I've worked with people that wrote physics engines in C/C++,
> > and they also had to hand optimize specifically for a certain compiler to
> get things fast.
>
> that's important signal. if you need to hand-optimize your code even
> if you use icl to compile it, using haskell will be like hunting with
> a hand instead of gun

well in the past I wrote a couple of video codecs (one was a multi core
motion JPEG decoder), and I had to write parts of it in assembler to get
fast enough frame rates. but that is already more than 10 years ago, today I
don't think I could beat a C/C++ compiler like ICL anymore, at least not in
a reasonable time frame