[Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:14:41 EST 2009

On 21 Feb 2009, at 00:10, Ahn, Ki Yung wrote:

> Thomas Davie wrote:
>> You need look no further than the debian language shootout that
>> things really aren't as bad as you're making out – Haskell comes in
>> in general less than 3x slower than gcc compiled C.
>> Of note, of all the managed languages, this is about the fastest –
>> none of the other languages that offer safety and garbage
>> collection etc get as close as Haskell does.
>> Bob
>
> OCaml and Clean seems to be pretty fast too.

Very true :).  As does C#, but using MS's compiler not mono.  I think
my conclusion from this thread is "stop arguing, someone being wrong
on the internet is not worth it", oh and "cool, new possibly major
optimisation for ghc".

And finally, something I'd known all along – Haskell is plenty fast
enough for writing real world programs, it's not as fast as C, but I
don't care – I write so much better code so much faster in it that the
tradeoff becomes worth it.

Sorry for getting into the slagging match so much, and count me out of
this one from now on.

Bob