[Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:41:44 EST 2009

Hello Thomas,

Saturday, February 21, 2009, 1:19:47 AM, you wrote:

> I'm not sure what you're getting at Bulat √ it's been demonstrated
> that ghc is slower than gcc for most cases at the moment (many
> benchmarks will back this up), *however*, it's also easily verified
> that ghc has had significantly less effort directed at it than gcc and
> other imperative compilers, thus, there are many places it can improve
> greatly.

of course. what fool will say that ghc cannot be optimized the same
way as gcc? if we spent the same amount of time for improving ghc
back-end as was spent for gcc (tens or hundreds man-years?), then
*low-level* Haskell code will become as fast as C one, while remaining
several times slower to write

> In this case, you've pointed out a really great source of heavy
> optimisation.  Thanks a lot :)  Now perhaps it might be an idea to be
> constructive, rather than trying to stand like nelson going "HA HA" at
> the people with the inferior compiler.

ghc is superior compiler and it's my main instrument. but it can't
make coffee and doesn't contain sophisticated code generator. it's why
i dissuade from writing video codes in haskell and i don't like
situation when someone too lazy to test speed yourself tell us tales
and attack me when i say about real situation

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com