[Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:33:09 EST 2009

Hello Achim,

Saturday, February 21, 2009, 1:17:08 AM, you wrote:

>> nothing new: what you are not interested in real compilers comparison,
>> preferring to demonstrate artificial results
>>
> ...that we have a path to get better results than gcc -O3
> -funroll-loops, and it's within reach... we even can get there now,
> albeit not in the most hack-free way imaginable?

well, can this be made for C++? yes. moreover, gcc does this trick
*automatically*, while with ghc we need to write 50-line program using
Template Haskell and then run it through gcc - and finally get exactly
the same optimization we got automatic for C code

so, again: this confirms that Don is always build artificial
comparisons, optimizing Haskell code by hand and ignoring obvious ways
to optimize Haskell code. unfortunately, this doesn't work in real
live. and even worse - Don reports this as fair Haskell vs C++
comparison

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com