[Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Fri Feb 20 16:54:33 EST 2009

Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:

> so - why YOU think that ghc
> generates fast code and this example is something unusual?

I think ghc has decent performance, and that there's room for
improvement. I don't care whether you compare it to gcc,
malbolge, or hand-written assembly, what matters isn't whether
something is unusual, it is that

                          look below
                  vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

if there's any way to have faster code than you get with ghc, right
now, it's worth a bug report, even if it's going to be tagged as
Milestone: ghc 120.10. Non-tracked issues are non-issues.

                          look above

Disk space is cheap, nowadays, and we can't have Simon's backlog run
empty. Anything could happen.

BTW: If you think I was being sarcastic in my last post, you are
mistaken. The message is much simpler.