[Haskell-cafe] Re: speed: ghc vs gcc

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri Feb 20 16:34:29 EST 2009

bulat.ziganshin:

> >> but why you think that this is untypical and needs a ticket? ;)
> >>
> > Bulat, you are right in every aspect. You never did anything wrong.
>
> Achim, this is simplest code one can imagine. so when Simon will go to
> check ghc optimizations, he will try it without any reports. but
> Simon, unlike Don, never said that ghc may be compared to gcc. Don, on
> the other hand, say this everyday. when he is asked for code that
> shows this, he declined to answer. so - why YOU think that ghc
> generates fast code and this example is something unusual? can you
> provide any *technical* arguments or will continue to make personal
> attacks together with Don?

Bulat, you misunderstand, it is not personal! We just want something to
work on. Something specific.

For example, you've identified loop unrolling as something that could
very profitably be improved in GHC, and Claus even wrote a prototype to
see what kind of speedups to guess.

This is a great contribution!  Now we know where to hunt.

-- Don