AW: [Haskell-cafe] Haskell.org GSoC

Kemps-Benedix Torsten torsten.kemps-benedix at sks-ub.de
Fri Feb 20 03:42:03 EST 2009

Hello,

but to specify that “this function turns a list into its sorted equivalent” would probably require to specify e.g. "sort" in terms of the type system and to write code that actually does the sorting. The first task is much like specifying what a sorted list is in first-order-logic (much like a Prolog program) and the second task is a regular functional program.

If this is correct, dependent types would become more useful if the first task could be done by the compiler - which is probably impossible in general.

Am I right?

Best wishes,

Torsten