[Haskell-cafe] unresolved Liskell installation problems

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 03:24:17 EST 2009

I have been trying to install Liskell on top of GHC 6.10.1 on Windows
XP Professional, Service Pack 2, since last month, but despite changes
to the included Main.hs file and repeated exchanges on a related
Weblog (see "CFruhwirth's Weblog: Liskell standalone" at
http://blog.clemens.endorphin.org/2009/01/liskell-standalone.html),
the problem is still unsolved.

My last question was posted there on January 27, but there have been
no further responses since then.

In summary, here is a transcription of the related correspondence
there:

Posted by Clemens Fruhwirth on 9 January 2009 at 14:17:
>[...]
>
>You can grab it with the usual
>
>darcs get http://code.haskell.org/liskell/
>

>This version has been tested with ghc 6.10.1 and should install like
>
>./Setup.lhs configure
>./Setup.lhs build
>./Setup.lhs install
>cd LskPrelude
>make install-inplace
>
>Optionally you can run make tests in the testsuite subdirectory.

Posted by Benjamin Russell on 21 January 2009 at 23:27:
>I just downloaded Darcs 2.2 and Liskell for Windows XP, Service Pack 2, but the following error message appeared when I ran:
>
>./Setup.lhs configure
>
>in Cygwin:
>
>Configuring liskell-0.1...
>Setup.lhs: At least the following dependencies are missing:
>ghc-paths -any
>
>How should I resolve this issue?

Posted by ctnd on 23 January 2009 at 23:48:
>[...]
>
>Perhaps install this package:
>http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/ghc-paths

Posted by ctnd on 24 January 2009 at 00:04:
>	Okay, I got Liskell running and compiling here with a couple of changes:
>
>In Main.hs, change:
>
>-- GHC.runGhc (Just "/home/clemens/deploy/ghc-6.10.1/lib/ghc-6.10.1/") $ do
>GHC.runGhc (Just "/home/chris/.GHC/lib/ghc-6.10.1/") $ do
>
>To the appropriate value as I have.
>
>./Setup.lhs configure --user
>./Setup.lhs build
>./Setup.lhs install
>
>$ cd LskPrelude/
>$ make
>$ make install-inplace
>
>Couldn't really get the tests working but I don't much care about that right now, just want to play with Liskell.
>
>Hope you guys figure it out!

Posted by Benjamin Russell on 25 January 2009 at 20:51:
>[...]
>
>Thanks for the advice, but:
>
>> In Main.hs, change:
>>
>> -- GHC.runGhc (Just "/home/clemens/deploy/ghc-6.10.1/lib/ghc-6.10.1/") $ do
>> GHC.runGhc (Just "/home/chris/.GHC/lib/ghc-6.10.1/") $ do
>
>Done. However, the building step still fails:
>
>> $ ./Setup.lhs build
>> Preprocessing library liskell-0.1...
>> Setup.lhs: The program happy is required but it could not be found
>
>But "happy" is installed and listed in the PATH!
>
>> $ which happy
>> /cygdrive/c/Program Files/Haskell/bin/happy
>
>> Perhaps install this package:
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/ghc-paths
>
>Already installed; _viz_:
>
>> $ cabal install ghc-paths
>> Resolving dependencies...
>> No packages to be installed. All the requested packages are already installed.
>> If you want to reinstall anyway then use the --reinstall flag.
>
>How should I resolve this issue?

Posted by ctnd on 27 January 2009 at 07:28:
>[...]
>
>I had the same problem:
>
>Configuring liskell-0.1...
>Setup.lhs: At least the following dependencies are missing:
>ghc-paths -any
>
>I solved it by configuring as --user. I should've done this from the start as my GHC and cabal packages are all --user installed anyway.
>
>./Setup.lhs configure --user
>./Setup.lhs build
>./Setup.lhs install
>
>Hopefully it's the same for you.
>
>RE the `happy` problem, no idea.

[...]
>P.S. I saw your question on the mailing list but I'm unable to post to the list (despite asking for help from the admins) so I'll have to respond here.

Posted by Benjamin Russell on 27 January 2009 at 21:59:
>[...]
>
>Thanks again for the response.
>
>This time, a parse error occurs in the building phase:
>
>> Main.hs:218:0: parse error (possibly incorrect indentation)
>
>These are lines 218-19 of my Main.hs file:
>
>> partition_args :: [String] -> [(String, Maybe Phase)] -> [String]
>> -> ([(String, Maybe Phase)], [String])
>
>I tried merging line 219 into line 218, but the same error recurs.
>
>In addition, the following error occurs during the install phase:
>
>>Setup.lhs: dist\build\liskell\liskell.exe: copyFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)
>
>Sorry for the repeated questions, but would you happen to know how to resolve these issues?

Does anybody know how to install Liskell successfully?

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^