[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle and Network.Socket

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:50:03 EST 2009

I recall that Niel made sure hoogle doesn't search through
non-portable libraries (a shame), but I thought Network.Socket could
be used on Windows and yet Hoogle does not give any results for
'socket' or any other functions within Network.Socket.

First, am I mistaken and Network.Socket is POSIX only?  I could swear
it wasn't.  Secondly - is there any chance of lifting the non-portable
libraries ban, Niel?  From the stand point of an application developer
it might not sound good, but even in Haskell some software is system
level and bound to be single platform (case and point: XCB, xmonad,
hsXenCtrl).  Judging by the amount of research in systems level
functional programming I wouldn't be surprised to see this collection
grow and making functions hard to find isn't productive.

Thomas