[Haskell-cafe] question on types

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 05:35:14 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Lennart Augustsson
<lennart at augustsson.net> wrote:
> Also, if you are using ghc you can turn on the extension that allows
> undecidable instances and make the type system Turing complete.

<snark>And you get the additional pain of a potentially nonterminating
compiler without any of the nice type-level syntax that you really
want when writing code at that level</snark>

Seriously, I love undecidable instances, but there's gotta be a way to
make type-level programming less painful.  GHC team: please give us
type-level integers that don't suck! If I ever have to see S (S (S (S
Z))) again it's too soon.

  -- ryan