[Haskell-cafe] Haskell.org GSoC

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Wed Feb 18 04:25:47 EST 2009

Am Dienstag, 17. Februar 2009 21:01 schrieben Sie:
> Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> >     * making Applicative a superclass of Monad
> >
> >     * getting rid of MonadPlus (use (Alternative m, Monad m) instead of
> >     (MonadPlus m) or, with another extension, even something like
> >     (forall a. Monoid (m a), Monad m))
> >
> >     * getting rid of ugly Monoid method names (empty, append, concat or
> >     something totally different instead of mempty, mappend, mconcat)
> >
> >     * redesigning numeric classes
>
> Let's make these ideas more concrete and add them to the Other Prelude,
> if they haven't been already!
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/The_Other_Prelude

Is this really good? First, I’m not only talking about prelude stuff but also
stuff from other libraries. Second, the page “The Other Prelude” states right
at the beginning that this project is (just) a fun project. However, I mean
my comment very seriously. My agenda is not “This would be nice but won’t be
realized anyway.” but “I really want to see this implemented.”.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang