[Haskell-cafe] forall & ST monad

Kim-Ee Yeoh a.biurvOir4 at asuhan.com
Mon Feb 16 15:17:38 EST 2009

Correct. And under the hood, GHC does implement runST in its
existential dual form using a hidden State# type.

I wonder however, if we're wandering too far away from the
OP's query about grokking runST and "how the ST monad
works." I'd imagine that means he'd like to see how rank-2
polymorphism keeps different threads separated, something
which doesn't require existentials, much less the perforce
crippled (because constructivist) duality between the two
flavors of quantification.