[Haskell-cafe] forall & ST monad

Kim-Ee Yeoh a.biurvOir4 at asuhan.com
Mon Feb 16 13:04:56 EST 2009

Peter Verswyvelen-2 wrote:

> I'm having trouble understanding the explanation of the meaning of the
> signature of runST at
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Haskell/Existentially_quantified_types
>
> I could try to read the article a couple of times again, but are there any
> other good readings about these existentially quantified types and how the
> ST monad works?

Existential quantification can be discussed without reference to
runST, and the more I reread the wikibooks link you gave, the
more I'm convinced the runST section doesn't belong there.

The tenuous connection between them is higher-ranked types.
You can't do much with existential quantification without
invoking them. That one presupposes the other does not
necessitate its converse. Despite its rank-2 type, runST really
doesn't have anything to do with e.q.